Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Maddur Vada - Karnataka specialty

Maddur Vade/Vada is a popular Karnataka specialty and you'd have definitely had it if you have ever been on the Bangalore-Mysore train route. This one is a crispy crunchy snack that adults and kids alike will love to munch on! I had the opportunity to discover Kalyani's blog as part of my participation in Blog Hop Wednesdays event. I picked this recipe as I wanted to try a dish unique to a particular region. Kalyani has a beautiful blog with diverse recipes and tempting food pictures and I found her stories prior to every recipe to be very interesting!

I made Maddur Vade in about 30 minutes and it was finger-lickin' good! :)

Maddur Vade

You 'll Need -

Maida - 1 cup
Semolina / Rawa - 1/2 cup
Rice flour - 2 tbsp
Onion, finely chopped - 1/2 cup
Fresh coriander and some curry leaves, chopped  - 1/4 cup
Green chillies-  2 nos (or adjust to suit your taste)
Salt - to taste
Hot oil - 1/4 cup (to make the dough)
Water (preferably warm)- 2 tbsp (approx) - to make the dough
Some more oil - to deep fry the vadas


How To -

  • Mix Maida, rawa and rice flour together in a bowl. Add chopped onions and salt and sprinkle little water to get some moisture. 
  • After 5 mins, add chopped coriander, curry leaves, green chillies and pour hot oil and mix well to get a soft, pliable dough. Be careful and DONT use your hand because its HOT OIL (I burnt my fingers the first time I made Maa Laadu and learnt the lesson!) Use a stainless steel spoon instead!
  •  Add warm water, a few drops at a time to get the dough done. Let sit for 10 minutes.
  •  Grease your hands with oil (or use a baking sheet as suggested by Kalyani) and flatten a small ball (roughly of 1 inch diameter or slightly more) of the dough and make a disc (approx 3 inch dia).
  • This is now ready to be deep-fried in pre-heated oil and then the Vada is ready to be devoured!

Simply use your palm! That's mehendi design on my hands, btw!
  • Repeat the same step of making (kinda thick) discs with the dough and deep fry in batches of 2 or 3 depending on the capacity of your frying pan. I could fry just one at a time, as I used very little oil and the smallest pan I had (this is to reduce left-over oil that remains to be re-used!)
    • Check for temperature of oil before frying, by dropping 1/2 tsp of mustard or jeera into it; they should pop up and sizzle. If the oil is not hot enough, the vadas will absorb more oil than necessary and will be soggy! 
    • Keep in medium flame and fry the vadas, to ensure the dough gets cooked sufficiently. High flame will blacken the outside and leave the inside uncooked!
    • Flip sides when it turns slightly golden colored and let the other side get crisp.


  • Drain excess oil on kitchen tissues and enjoy these lovely Maddur Vadas with a cuppa hot masala chai! :-)




Crispy Maddur Vadas
Crispy Maddur Vadas on their way to BHW event!



And to MidWeek Fiesta @FoodCorner



7 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this but it sure is tempting my tastebuds.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum,mouthwatering here, wat a super tempting vadas..

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMO..Thanks for the recipe..This looks mouthwatering..I have bookmarked it..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming over to my place and leaving me a sweet comment:)I love Vadas very much, specially the Medhu vada.This is something that I've not heard of so far,but now that I have the recipe from you,I'll try to make this at home - beautifully made!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful and thanks for the recipe ...

    ReplyDelete

Did you like it? Found something interesting? Do you have a alternate way of doing it? Please leave a line here. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...