Semiya Payasam is super-quick to make and hence, this post will be a short one as well :-) My sis loves Semiya Payasam always and I totally licked the cup clean this time when amma made it during Navartri. She never adds Condensed milk to any Kheer she makes, as it's high in calories and definitely unhealthy. Yet her payasam was yum-yum-yummy and I asked her if she did the Pressure-cooker method that she taught me to get the perfect Pal Payasam easily everytime. No, no pressure-cooker needed for Semiya Payasam, all you need is a pot to boil milk and water. Here's how :-
|Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Kheer|
What Amma Uses -
- Semiya / Vermicelli - 1 cup
- Milk - 1 and 1/2 cups
- Water - 2 and 1/2 cups
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder (jadikkai) - 1/4 tsp
- Sugar - 2/3 cup (Use 1/2 cup if you prefer slightly lesser sweetness)
- About 12-15 Raisins roasted in 1/2 tsp Ghee
How She Makes the Yummy Kheer -
- Boil water in a pot and when ready, add the semiya/vermicelli to the boiling hot water and let cook. There will still be water remaining after vermicelli has cooked well. Don't fret.
- Boil about 2 cups of milk in a pot or milk cooker (follow your usual method; in Singapore, I would just microwave milk for 3-4 minutes, thats it) and keep aside.
- Add sugar and cardamom + nutmeg powder to the cooked semiya/vermicelli. Stir gently to uniformly mix. Keep on sim/low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Take cooked vermicelli off the stove and pour 1 cup milk first. Add the roasted raisins. Voila! :-) Tasty Semiya Payasam is ready for neivedhyam! :-) Add another 1/2 cup milk later, just before serving.
- Never ever boil milk and sugar together, it would get spoilt easily.
- This payasam tastes awesome both warm and cold.
- Ratio of vermicelli to water is 1: 2.5 and you can start with equal quantity of milk (as that of vermicelli) to begin with and then add some more milk as required.
- Add some more milk (boiled and cooled) if all the milk gets absorbed over time.
|Semiya Payasam/ Vermicelli Kheer|
Here are other yummy Kheer / Payasam Recipes for Navaratri and other festivals -Click on the pictures to read the entire recipe.
|Palada Payasam / Rice Ada Kheer|
|Aval Payasam / Kheer with Poha/ Flattened Rice|
|Carrot Kheer/ Payasam|
Bring on the festive spirit! :-)