|Creamy Chocolate Mousse - without any cream! ;)|
Do not deprive yourself of this opportunity that could turn even tofu-detesters to fall in love with this Tofu-Chocolate marriage! Yes, Tofu is so bland that makes it so versatile, it absorbs whatever you add/ blend with it. I learnt about Tofu after coming to Singapore as it's widely used in Asian cuisine. Tofu is made from soybeans/ soy milk just like how Paneer is made from Milk. Isn't it nice to get some extra protein even as we consume desserts? :-)
|Chocolate Mousse - Low-fat!|
Yield - 4 medium-sized ramekins
What I Used -
|Simple Ingredients, right in your pantry!|
- Extra smooth Silken Tofu - 300 g
- Pure Cocoa Powder (don't use drinking chocolate) - 3 tbsp
- Chocolate Chips (Semi-sweet works best) or Dark chocolate (I used 53%) bars* ~ 100 g
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
* There's no need to add extra sugar as the sugar present in Chocolate bars/chips was found to be sufficient. However, if you think your family doesn't like Dark chocolate as such (if they call it bitter!) , then, may be you should try using Milk chocolate instead. Best to start with a combination of milk and dark - 50% each!
How To -
1. Drain the water from tofu and blend into a really smooooth paste in an electric mixer/blender.
|Siken Tofu, blended smooth|
2. Microwave milk for a minute and add cocoa powder to hot milk. Whisk them well together without lumps.
3. Microwave chocolate chips or chocolate bars until it's all melted.
4. Add 2 + 3 + vanilla to the smoothly blended tofu and run the electric mixer again.
5. Pour into serving cups (I used colorful ramekins!) and refrigerate (do NOT freeze) for about 2 hours. The more time you let it sit in the fridge, the better it gets!
6. Optionally, grate some dark chocolate onto each cup and serve chilled.
Let me tell you that it may not taste good if you lick off a spoon BEFORE refrigerating it. But AFTER 90 minutes (yes, I secretly tasted a spoonful after 1 and half hours!), you're transported to heaven! Absolutely like the Before-After pictures that Slimming companies, Hairloss treatments and the like advertise with! :D
Nobody can tell there's tofu in the mousse! That's the beauty! :-)
|Rich n decadent choc mousse|